Friday, July 22, 2011

Laptop for ID

Hello fellow IDers!

I have to purchase a new laptop for ID and I was wondering what sort of laptops are useful for the ID workflow.

I've been doing some research and it's suggested that it's best if I buy a laptop with a workstation graphics card (ie. Quadro or FirePro) for use with Solidworks. The ID site recommends a Macbook Pro which does not include one of these gfx cards and also requires dual boot. I've read that there is a higher chance of instabilities using Solidworks on MBP vs a PC. I was wondering if any of you have encountered said instabilities, since I think the majority have MBP in ID.

I've also read that some rendering programs can use processing power vs using the graphics card to render (which could save several 100s of dollars skipping out on the workstation graphics card). If anybody has had any first hand experience with this I'd love to hear about it.

I was thinking of a laptop with an Intel i5 (2nd gen) processor, 8gb of ram, Solid state drive, and for the video card either a Quadro if it's absolutely recommended or any nVidia geForce or ati radeon "gaming" directX cards.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Thanks!